Published on OnIslam.net
On 22nd June, 2015
Episode One: It’s An Inside Job!
Thundering slamming sounds of doors locking.
Roaring noises of steel chains clatter together.
Hearts melt as the smiles fill the skies…
And the golden gates are opened, filling the universe with the sparkling scents of Heaven….
People from all around the world gather together, excited and anxious to be amongst the frontrunners. From every race, age and color, the chosen contestants hold hands in peace; awaiting further reminders before they head off for the big win.
“Listen up people! This is it! The doors of Hell are locked, the devils are chained down and the gates of Paradise are wide open. Tonight we start the 30-day countdown of the Amazing Race! Let’s make EVERY. SECOND. COUNT!”
Millions of Muslims raise their hands to the sky and chant in unity “Allahu Akbar! God Is Great!”
“The more people you help along the way, the more you raise your chances of winning the ultimate reward, so stay close and have each others backs! Now please pick up a copy of your craziest imagination before heading to Conference Room A for a staff meeting with your organs. Good luck!”
Health Benefits Of Fasting:
All the organs take their seats, giving full attention to the Heart that stands up and speaks first.
“I’d like to welcome you all to this great event. I’ll be your team leader and I hereby make it very clear that my approval is essential before every word and action you make. That means you Mr. Brain!”
“Hey! What did I do?” The Brain looks innocently confused.
“I would rather this meeting be productive so I won’t be pointing fingers! We are one family after all” The heart replies calmly. “If you look at the white board, you’ll see a list a job descriptions and goals for the Holy month. Let’s go through them quickly…”
- Lungs: Good news! Fasting helps remove built up toxins there. This month is for us to literally take a ‘breather’.
- Stomach: Will be using the foodless and waterless hours to work on removing any waste matter and allowing for better digestions. Good luck!
- Blood vessels: Since less blood will flow to the digestive system, more blood will go to other tissues, removing the cholesterol lining in our blood vessels. Well, about time!
- Intestines: Like the stomach, will finally use this period for detoxification.
- Kidneys: Will absorb more salt and water, which will help stabilize blood pressure, improve the organ’s functions and avoid kidney stones. Congratulations!
- Immune System: Fasting reduces free radical damage, regulates inflammatory conditions in the body, reduces stress on the internal system so we can fight infections and starve many types of cancer cells. (Impressive, ha?)
- Complexion: While fasting, the body has free time to focus on its regenerative energies on other systems like clearing up skin, sweat glands and preventing acne. Yeah that’s why we glow in Ramadan.
- Liver: Reserved ‘Glycogen’ in the liver will be broken into glucose, which all of us organs can use as extra fuel or energy. Thanks pal! We owe you one.
- Body Fat: When the supply of glycogen runs out, we turn to stored body fat, breaking it into fatty acids and converting that to useable energy. Let’s lose some of that stubborn weight this summer guys!
- Brain: Fasting boosts the levels of serotonin, the ‘happy hormone’ that beats depression. It also enhances the production of proteins that activate brain stem cells, promotes brain functions, and protects it from diseases such as Alzheimer’s. We’re all counting on you this month dude!
“Ummm Mr. Brain? Are you there?”
“Ouch! Horrible Headache! Ahhhhh this really hurts!” The Brain screams as loud sirens shake the room.
Attention! Brace yourself while system resets. I repeat. All organs brace yourselves. This Is An Automated message.
“What’s happening?” The Kidney twins panic. “Is that an Earthquake? Oh my God we’re getting dizzy!”
“No that’s the Brain going into shock. It’s one of the expected side effects of adjusting to the new system” The Heart replies. “Guys if you’ll excuse us, I need to talk to the Brain privately please.”
Mental Benefits Of Fasting:
The Heart puts its hand on the Brain’s shoulder and speaks softly.
“Listen to me. I know the headache hurts but it will only last a day or two till the body adjusts to the fasting process. I need you to stay strong. This will pass I promise! Just breathe it out”
“I want pain killers, coffee, sweets, anything! Please!” The Brain holds its head.
“A war is raging inside coz you’re physically feeling hunger and thirst to the fullest. But I’m in charge now and I will see you through this. You’ll thank me later and here’s why…”
- Increased focus, mental clarity and creativity.
- Fasting is a powerful tool in maintaining a healthy mental state through clearing out suppressed ‘emotional baggage’.
- Controlling impulsive urges which enhances wisdom.
- Discontinuing bad habits and overcoming addictions
- Fasting improves quality of sleep.
- Ultimate awareness and living the ‘now’ helps you feel the ‘joy’.
- Strengthening your will and inner power.
“You can do this. That’s the training you need to survive another year in the outside world. Together you and me, we will win this race every single day, because we have the ultimate goal in mind: Pleasing Allah and attaining the highest levels of Paradise inshAllah. You’re not alone pal”
“Oh you’re so sweet. How come we don’t spend more time together? Listening to you is really soothing… You’re so pure and genuine!” The Brain smiles.
“Tell me something I don’t know” The Heart winks back jokingly. “Now let’s catch up with the rest in Conference Room B. The ‘Soul’ will give the final speech.”
Spiritual Benefits Of Fasting
Dressed in a sheer white suit, the ‘Inner Being’ welcomes each organ with a rose. The sound of Qur’an in the background fills the room with tranquility. After the recitation is done, the ‘Soul’ stands up and asks the audience to close their eyes.
“Shhhhhhhh…. Listen to the silence inside of you. Separate from the worldly life for a moment and focus your attention inwards…
- The body starts to feel lighter, senses are heightened and our beliefs and principles are crystalized. It’s Allah’s pleasure we are seeking.
- This is the chance to embrace your new beginning. For even those with the worst past can create the best future.
- The energies of the universe are bright and colorful in Ramadan. Your aura is cleansed and activated. Polish the mirror of your heart to reflect the ‘Divine Light’.
- Feel the presence of your Lord and the angels around guarding you and recording your deeds. Allow yourself to absorb this month’s blessed glory.
“Fasting is more than abstaining from food and water; it’s a spiritual journey towards Jannah. Let’s work as one team and promise ourselves to stay on the right path this year folks. Thank you for being here and good luck!”
I overhear the chitchats of millions of contestants on their way out of the auditoriums. Sorry, but I couldn’t help eavesdropping on some random conversations
“Man! That was impressive! It’s like all the organs are one happy family. How come we aren’t as close to our own parents and siblings outside Ramadan?”
“Tell me about it. Like my brother is so annoying I fantasize about punching him in the face sometimes.”
“I don’t remember the last time we all had a meal together!”
“My husband is married to his social media. I think if I disappear, the only way he will notice is if someone posts it on Facebook!”
Hmmmmm…I run quickly to fetch the blueprints for the next phase of the race and I chuckle with amusement!
Episode Two: ‘Joy Is A Six-Letter Word’.
Coming right up…. Stay tuned.
Lilly S. Mohsen
Amazing! Absolutely loved reading this 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Super happy to know that! Thank you so much
Absolutely loved this- brought a smile to my face 😊 jazakallah khairun may Allah bless you in everything you do I look forward to reading part 2 iA! x
LikeLiked by 1 person
May you always be smiling!
Oh My God, this is so cool! I regret to read this just now, I should read this the time you post it. But no problem, you’re such an inspiration! 🙂
Wow! You just made my day Sania
Thank you so much for your lovely comment!